Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Real Estate Tech Interview with Max Nussenbaum from Castle

Castle logo

In our latest real estate tech interview, I’m talking to Max Nussenbaum from Castle, a flat-fee property management startup out of Detroit.

What do you do?

Max NussenbaumCastle manages rental property for landlords using automation and on-demand labor, providing a property management experience that’s more affordable, more efficient, and vastly more pleasant for owners and tenants.

I’m one of three cofounders, and the CEO. About 30% of my time is spent on “CEO stuff”—recruiting, building the culture, fundraising, and legal nonsense. The rest of my time, I’m laser-focused on growth: getting more rental owners to sign up to have their properties managed via Castle.

Why do you do what you do?

Before starting Castle, my cofounders and I restored an abandoned house in Detroit. After becoming landlords ourselves, we experienced firsthand the pains of owning rental property, and (after some false starts and a few twists and turns) were inspired to start Castle to make things better for other rental owners like ourselves.

On a more personal note, my skillset is broad but shallow: I’m pretty good at a lot of things, but I’m not amazing at anything. This makes me ideally suited to be a startup founder, where a good portion of my job is figuring out how to do the minimum viable version of something myself, then hiring someone to do it better.

What are you most excited about right now?

Castle is currently hiring for a few different roles. Nothing gets me more excited than growing the team and bringing more people into our strange little world.

What’s next for you?

Part of the magic of running a startup is that you don’t know exactly what’s next! I know I’ll be continuing to build Castle, but it’s not always possible to predict in what way, shape, or form. Every day (okay, almost every day) is an adventure.

What’s a cause you’re passionate about and why?

The city of Detroit! Perhaps not a “cause” in the traditional sense, but Detroit has become my adopted hometown. Since moving here in 2012 I’ve been able to watch the city grow and change in astounding ways, and it’s been amazing to be a part of. Castle was born and raised in Detroit, and we love nothing more than talking up the city to those who may not yet have been exposed to how awesome it can be.

The post Real Estate Tech Interview with Max Nussenbaum from Castle appeared first on GeekEstate Blog.



from GeekEstate Blog http://ift.tt/1WRmW3X

No comments:

Post a Comment